At the end of April we move our operation from our summer camp to our winter lodge. Our menu changes from bbq’s and fresh salads to heart-warming food. After days out exploring Bruny Island’s wilderness we will return to our waterfront lodge where your hosts will present Bruny Island’s food in this wonderful season.
What makes winter special? Crisp days, lonely beaches and that feeling of returning to a warm fire, a glass of pinot and an indulgent meal after conquering a walk.
As this tour operates during Tasmania’s cooler months we may be a little bit flexible with our itinerary but below is a sample of what to expect:
- Hotel pick up from Hobart
- Make our way down “the channel” to Kettering and board the ferry bound for Bruny Island
- Enjoy a walk on North Bruny Island (12km, 5hrs)
Filling the larder
- Gather oysters from a private oysters lease
- Tasting and cheese collection at Bruny Island Cheese Company
- Arrive at our private waterfront property
- Sit back and enjoy a glass of wine as your guide prepares dinner sourced from either on the island or in the waters surrounding it
- Guided walk on South Bruny Island for views of the rugged coast and the Southern Ocean (12km, 5 hrs)
- Drop by our Ross O’Meara’s farm and collect some ingredients for the evening’s meal
- Wine tasting at Australia’s most southerly vineyard
- Gather round the fire with a glass of pinot as your guides presents another showcase of local produce.
- As darkness descends on the lodge, watch as Tasmania’s unique nocturnal wildlife emerges from possibly the best place in Tasmania to see the southern lights (Aurora Australia)
- Have some time to yourself and try to spot some of Bruny Island’s 150 species of birds (including all 12 Tasmanian endemics)
- If the weather permits we will climb through ancient Gondwanan rainforest to the summit of Bruny Island’s highest point for spectacular panoramic views (5km, 2-3 hours). Alternatively we will climb the more sheltered Fluted Cape in Adventure Bay.
- Journey back across the D’Entrecasteaux Channel on the ferry
Depending on our group size we will work with our partner Bruny Island Coastal Retreats to select the most suitable accommodation. Bruny Island Coastal Retreats provide a variety of high-quality accommodation options that immerse visitors in Bruny’s natural beauty. Each of the properties has been selected because it offers a unique Bruny experience and everyone has been fitted with comfortable, quality fixtures. From five-star, architect-designed sophistication to breathtaking ocean views and rustic timber cottages nestled deep in old-growth forest, this is the best way to experience everything Bruny has to offer.
Cost: $1695 per person all inclusive
Confirmed Departure Monday May 29th – Wednesday May 31st
Please contact us for availability firstname.lastname@example.org